Saturday 10 November 2012

Latest work


I've been busy with lots of different projects lately, two essays, a digital presentation related to the Magdalene Sister's and of course working away on the brief. Busy busy!

I've been researching and thinking of different confined spaces. Immediately thought of the term 'my little bubble' and being imprisoned, so I decided to combined the two.

Imprisoned
Wire bubble with a curled up clay figure inside.
  Sketch of the finished piece in my hand.
 
I then decided to experiment a little in my sketchbook (below). Making a layered paper hand coming out from the page. As if the hand is pressing against a wall and trying to push through.
 


 
I the started looking at the body in confined spaces. My main theme is personal space so it feels natural to include the human figure in my work. I also returned to painting, which I prefer doing. In the beginning  wanted to use different materials but I'm most comfortable with paint and I was finally properly enjoying doing my work. This is most likely where I went wrong from the beginning! I'm sticking to what I enjoy doing from now on and I think it shows in my work.



 
Here are some quick thumbnails or plans for paintings I want to do. Focusing on the human figure in a confined space. What I particularly like about these are the composition. It's gives a sense of being confined by zooming into the figure and parts of the figure go off the page. This somewhat relates to what my tutors were saying about coffins. I don't want to get into the doom and gloom of drawing lots of coffins or whatever but I took the advice into account and this is my interpretation of it.


 
These two are in my sketchbook. I was told the black and white abstract painting (above) looked similar to Matisse style of painting. That wasn't my intention but I'm proud to think I accidentally painted it like a world famous artist! The second panting is looking more at colour and composition.

This painting is tiny in comparison to the others. I was looking at composition, scale and a simple form of painting by just using two shades of purple. I think I'll make this into a collage too.

This is my main larger painting that I put more time and effort into and it's pretty big. I'm happy with the result!! Composition worked out well I think. I made it so that it looks like theres limited light entering this confined space so there is highlights on the skin where as parts of body fades into the darkness. I also love colour and wanted to add different tones so it doesn't look dull but also not overwhelming the piece.

Here is my wall to give you a sense of the scale of the piece's.

Hope you like my latest work! .... stay chuned! :)

2 comments:

  1. I'v gotten so lazy with my own art blog. Been doing a lot on my writing one.... maybe I should have gone to writing college instead :P

    Great blog, love to see a new burst of energy in your work. Just make sure to keep pushing it and not repeating yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. writing about art still counts as being productive :P thank you I'll try !

    ReplyDelete