Sunday 21 October 2012

Latest work and Limerick City Gallery Exhibition

I was looking at body language and hand gestures and decided to draw different types of hand holding. Hand holding is a affectionate way of sharing your space and can have different meanings attached to them whether it's friendly, romantic, comforting or simple a parent keeping their child close and safe.

 
 
 

 I then decided to experiment with some cardboard. I simply removed a layer of the cardboard to give this effect. It's a three piece simple animation of how one can feel trapped or alone till someone else gives you a helping hand.
 









 

I did the same thing with the cardboard but this time with a different image. This relates to my study of hand holding.


Remember my friend in the box? I did drawing of her in it. Looks awfully creepy! I guess it just adds to the creepy coffin affect.


 

 These are just some quick sketches of the wire people I made.
 

This is a plan/ design of a clay sculpture I want to try and make. It's a abstract sculpture of a hug.
 

Result didn't turn out very well.
 
 
Limerick City Gallery Exhibition
 
I went the Limerick City Gallery and really enjoyed it. The pieces of work were all individual ad unique. There were mainly pieces involving film and videos on different monitors, these videos control the viewer in what the artist wants you to see and also confusing you by playing many monitors at once making you unsure which one you should follow first. There was also pieces of sculpture.
 
I immediately noticed and liked this piece. It also relates to my project. A hollow figure, protecting him/herself from what you would presume to be rain and also protecting another figure under the arm. These two figures are sharing close intimate space, the larger figure holding the smaller one close protecting it from the rain. Is it a couple or a parent and child? It's a simple form of sharing your personal space with another.

 
I really liked this piece. It doesn't relate to my project, I just liked it! A entire room full of suspending swings, each one either slightly in motion or completely still. 
I like the interaction with the piece. Your able to move among the swings and as you do you may bump into them causing each one to move. I found myself really wanting to sit and swing on them... but I resisted!! Is this the meaning behind the piece? Hacking into your inner child and reminding you of nostalgic times when you were a child?


No comments:

Post a Comment