Saturday 23 February 2013

Paint Elective

I'm finally doing my painting elective. This is my final elective I get to try out before finally deciding which one I want to study through college.

Before we began our painting elective we had our rag week (which was lots of fun) and then got back to business. We were given our brief and each of us were assigned a colour, we also had to bring in 6  objects of that colour. I got orange. Which was really hard to find objects for because I have nothing orange!

We just finished our first week doing painting, the week consisted of painting and CCS lectures and constructing still lives/installations etc . To start off we did some blind paintings, which is obviously painting without looking at the page and only focusing on the objects in front of us, which were tables in the beginning of the week, trusting our eyes. My blind drawing results are pretty abstract looking or child like, using primary colours:


 
We then had to paint using something like an old credit card, which was quite difficult to do because I'm only used to painting with the brush. You can get some interesting marks using the card. We mixed our primary colours together from the previous exercise to make the brown colour.
Here's my results:
 


 for the above painting, I only like the centre table. The others are a bit proportionally wrong... darn!


We then constructed our objects in such a way where the different colours compliment and contrast each other and with interesting shapes and textures and negative space in mind. after rebuilding it several times and when we were happy with it, we finally set out to paint it. Again we started off with doing blind paintings, giving an abstract result:



And then back to using the card:

 
I quite like the above painting, it's very simple but enough detail for the viewer to acknowledge what the subject matter is
 
We then moved onto painting a close u section of our ibjects using a palete knife. I'm not pleased with this painting. I knew it was going wrong from an early stage and wanted to rip it up and start again but we had to continue dispite our mistakes.So now this painting bugs me haha, but have to learn from your mistakes right?



 
 
 That's all for now, keep you posted! :)

2 comments:

  1. Rag week was brilliant ;)

    Also I loved the paintings!! :) Something very physical yet simple about the first few :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. was definitely brilliant! ;)

      thank you! I appreciate the praise/criticism from the great painter Chris Hayes :P

      Delete